Thursday, 20 Aug 2026
  • My Feeds
  • My Saves
  • History
  • Blog
Subscribe
Ideko Africa Ideko Africa
  • Africa News
  • Unstoppable Africa
  • World News
  • African History
  • Our Fact check
  • Contact
Font ResizerAa
Ịdekọ AfricaỊdekọ Africa
  • Africa News
  • Unstoppable Africa
  • World News
Search
  • Africa News
  • Unstoppable Africa
  • World News
  • African History
  • Our Fact check
  • Contact
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Join Us
  • Privacy Policy
© 2025 Ideko Africa . All Rights Reserved.
Ịdekọ Africa > Blog > Africa News > From Loot to Loans: Tinubu Directs Recovered Funds to Support Nigerian Students
Africa News

From Loot to Loans: Tinubu Directs Recovered Funds to Support Nigerian Students

Ideko Africa
Last updated: August 20, 2026 7:45 am
Ideko Africa
Share
SHARE

From Loot to Loans: Tinubu Directs Recovered Funds to Support Nigerian Students

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has directed that recovered proceeds of corruption be channelled into government programmes, including the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND), as part of efforts to turn recovered public assets into social and developmental benefits.

From Loot to Loans: Tinubu Directs Recovered Funds to Support Nigerian Students

The directive has already resulted in ₦50 billion from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s monetary recoveries being allocated to NELFUND to support the Federal Government’s student-loan programme. The EFCC clarified that the money was not a donation by the commission, but recovered proceeds of crime that were remitted to government and subsequently directed by the President towards the student-loan scheme.

Tinubu’s position is that money recovered from corruption should ultimately serve the public from whom it was stolen. At a 2025 national asset-recovery summit, the President said recovering stolen public funds and directing them towards development was both a matter of justice and restitution.

The allocation is significant for NELFUND, which was established under the Students Loans (Access to Higher Education) Act, 2024, signed by Tinubu in April 2024.

The fund provides financial assistance to Nigerian students facing difficulties meeting the cost of tertiary education. By August 2024, NELFUND said it had disbursed more than ₦2.5 billion to over 22,000 applicants, demonstrating the early demand for the scheme.

The EFCC subsequently reported that more than ₦50 billion recovered from fraud-related activities in 2024 had been among the funds invested in NELFUND and other government programmes.

EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede has also repeatedly stressed the need for transparency in how the money is managed, warning against a situation where recovered funds could themselves be misappropriated. The commission has requested reporting on NELFUND’s disbursements.

The directive forms part of a broader attempt by the Tinubu administration to strengthen Nigeria’s system for tracing, recovering and managing stolen assets.

In May 2025, the Federal Government unveiled a National Central Database of Forfeited and Recovered Assets, designed to keep records of recovered assets and concluded recovery cases and make information available for greater public oversight.

The government also said it had recovered and repatriated substantial assets through cooperation with countries including the United States, United Kingdom, Switzerland, France, Ireland and Jersey.

The approach represents a shift from simply recovering stolen assets towards demonstrating a visible public benefit from the money and property returned to government.

For Nigerian students, the most direct impact is through NELFUND: money recovered from corruption is being used to finance access to higher education, potentially turning proceeds of economic crimes into an investment in the country’s future workforce.

However, the policy also places greater importance on transparency and independent oversight. As the amount of recovered money being redirected into public programmes grows, ensuring that the funds reach their intended beneficiaries without being mismanaged will remain a key test for the government.

Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Sudan, South Sudan Revive Security Talks After Defence Minister’s Visit
Next Article Nigeria Moves to Treat Suicide Attempts as a Mental Health Crisis, Not a Crime
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might Also Like

Drug Agency Warns Parents Over Cannabis-Laced Cookies and Gummies Targeting Children

By
Ideko Africa

World Bank Allocates $27m in Performance Grants to Nigerian States for Reform Milestones

By
Ideko Africa

Adeleke Wins Second Term as Osun Governor, Defeating APC Challenger

By
Ideko Africa

From Cotonou to Hollywood: Angélique Kidjo Puts African Music in Walk of Fame History

By
Ideko Africa
Ideko Africa Ideko Africa
Facebook Twitter Youtube Rss Medium

About US

At ỊDEKỌ AFRICA, we are committed to capturing and amplifying Africa’s truth through bold journalism, podcasts, and dynamic branding. We tell stories with authenticity, integrity, and purpose—ensuring that Africa is seen, heard, and understood.

 
Top Categories
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Join Us
  • Privacy Policy
Usefull Links
  • My Feeds
  • My Saves
  • History
  • Blog

© IdekoAfrica Design By ChigoziemIbeh

Ịdekọ AfricaỊdekọ Africa
Follow US
@idekoafrica2025
Ideko Africa Ideko Africa
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?